tail -f /var/log/squid/access.log lists *plenty* of TCP-MISSes during
normal use

was
"TCP_MISS/200 5042 GET http://www.fsck.com/pub/rt/contrib/ -
DIRECT/www.fsck.com text/html"
now
"TCP_REFRESH_MISS/200 25002 GET http://www.theregister.co.uk/ -
FIRST_UP_PARENT/recycled-02.iinet.net.au text/html"

This is quite useful, especially as the ISP link is faster than mine :-)

Off-Topic :- My ISP has a peering proxy farm with other West Aust ISPs
allowing pages clients of ISP1 download to be cached for clients of ISP2,
ISP3, etc. Last count, it saved the ISPs $740,000 saving 5000 GB of
internet traffic in 30 days. So yeah, I like using proxys :-)

> I don't claim to be a squid expert, BTW.
>
> > I also enable the line
> >
> > "cache_peer_domain proxy.someisp.net.au !mycomany.xxx"
> >
> > as this keeps most local traffic off the isp's proxy.
>
> If your assertion above is correct, then local traffic would try the
local
> web page, rather than go to the isp's proxy. Otherwise it sounds like a
> useful suggestion.

That's correct. As the parent isn't asked, it looks locally (as a result
of the line above), therefore allowing local proxy requests to stay local.
It also helps you, if you do not have a registered domain...

> > Asked the Mandrake Cooker list the same thing over a year ago and
still
> > never got a reply :-(
>
> Perhaps you didn't ask in French :-)

:-)