A quick question ;) (Gordon thanks for answering in the forum.)

I was running a public/full dns on my e-smith 4.01 server accordng to the
information provieded here
http://www.e-smith.org/bboard/read.php?f=3&i=993&t=700 I know it isn't
advised, but I needed it and it worked well.
I've now upgraded to 4.1 and made the changes to named to allow for a public
dns, but I still wasn't having any luck. Looking in /var/log/messages I
noticed a lot of packets being denied by the kernel. These were primarily on
ports 53, 631, 121, and 531. I know that the packets that come in on 53 are
for the 'domian' (dns) and so I let them thru. The other denied packets I
either didn't know what they did, or they didn't seem important. Anyway this
made everything work. Nslookup works, mail works, web works, etc...

And now for the million dollar question(s)...Have I opened up something bad?
Am I putting myself in danger? Should I have done this some way else? Have I
missed something glaringly obvious?

Thanks.

Noah Genner