On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Darrell May wrote:

> Backup or Restore panel shows the following:  Note a system restore is NOT
> in progress!

Had you performed a network or tape restore previously? If so, which
one? My guess is the tape restore given your current tape issues.

> Backup configuration and status
> Tape backups are enabled. Regular tape backups will run at 23:30. Reminder
> messages will be sent at 14:00.
>
> A system restore is in progress. It began at Mon Jan 15 23:22:26 2001.
>
> Select an action shows only 'Refresh this display' and 'Configure tape
> backup'

That's because (under perfect conditions) it would be dangerous to try
to do a backup or restore while a restore is running - you'd probably
backup corrupt (or at least mismatching) data and/or 2 restores
running at the same time could also lead to restoring corrupt data.

The restore status is stored in /etc/e-smith/restore. To reset the
status (I don't recommend doing this unless you KNOW that something
has gone wrong) do this

    /sbin/e-smith/db /etc/e-smith/restore setprop restore state idle

--
Regards
Peter

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"