Hi all
I just wanted to give my 2 cents on this issue!

I recently been testing various backup solution for e-smith:

Taper has been ok for us up till now but I find it very unstable. Too many
segmentation faults, upgrade on c-libraries etc. On the upside it is free & has a gui.

Flexbackup , well I know that e-smith use this themselves but I found it very
unfriendy - no gui etc

I have since tried 2 commercial products - lone-tar (http://www.lone-tar.com/) &
backupEDGE (www.microlite.com)

Both products are easy to install, configure the tape drive & setup scheduled
backups.Both have nice GUI you can access from the command-line. My personal choice is
lone-tar. On the down side these are both commercial (i.e you have to pay for them +-
$90 - $100) but they both come with demo periods (30 days??)

For those who take their backups seriously, I recommend you have a look at these!
Remember linux  is starting to move from being free product to a low-cost solution.

Regards
Brandon Friedman
Tech-Knowledgy Advantage
(Tel.)  +27 11 486-0626 (Cell.) 0834087840
(Fax.) +27 11 486-0629 (E-mail) [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.techknowledgy.co.za
PO Box 1909, Houghton, 2041 South Africa
No. 1 Mowbray Road, Greenside, Johannesburg, South Africa