On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 11:05:35PM +1000, Lionel Lauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> I'm assuming that someone missed a switch when they compiled the SMP
> kernel that went into the ISO image of 4.11, & I have no idea why you
> might want to default to the SMP version!

Well, it's nice to have both processors running in an SMP box :-)

ftp://ftp.e-smith.org/pub/e-smith/e-smith-4.1.1/updates/

> OBWishlist#1: It would be very nice if the dialup settings, etc, were
> configurable from the web-based manager as well. It's a royal pain to
> have to go to the console of the server to diddle with them.

ssh in as "admin", no walking required.

And yes, we are planning to remove all of this stuff from the console
in the future.

> ObWishlist#2: I would *love* it if there was a script that would
> propagate edits from config files to their templates. Eg; I edit
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0 several times to fix a problem,
> then run a script that updates the template files from their target
> files. I do understand that this would be tricky with the current
> system, but I don't think it'd take a lot of mod's to the template
> system to support such a facility.

Hmm, pulling random edits apart into fragments is definitely in the "this is
an exercise left for the reader" territory.

Remember many of the templates are Perl fragments, not just text strings.
Unrolling the resultant string into a piece of Perl with the same flexibility
as the original template is certainly an interesting challenge.

> Come to think of it, a web-based config file editor that works on the
> templates, then runs an update on the target files when you hit the 'do
> it' buttone mightn't be a bad substitute.

Looking forward to the contrib :-)

Gordon
--
  Gordon Rowell                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)