I tried to connect to a new cable connection today and had a bit
of trouble

the cable company setup a surfboard cable modem and a router and
told us the ip address to set our machine to was
192.168.1.253   net mask 255.255.255.0  gateway  192.168.1.254
,  I though that was quite odd in it's self since we had
specifically told them we wnated to host our own mail server.
Not having a routable ip address was going to be a pain, but the
installer said he was doing what he was told and left.

We never could get the e-smith to connect to the internet that
way.
static ip
So after he left we disconnected the router and connected
directly to the surfboard modem.  I tried all the dhcp options
also
with no results from any of them.  then in despiration I tried
going to to the command line and did an "ifup eth1"  it came back

with a message about dhcp and an ip address in a routable range.
we had choosen tzo for our dynamic dns because they have an
option to hold 5 or 10 meg of mail if we are disconnected.

So now the question is:   what is "ifup eth1" doing different
than  the network startup?
do I possibly need to take the user name out of the setting and
leave it blank?

Will the tzo client work this way.

I am not able to get back to the machine for logs or diagnose
till Monday orTuesday so take your time getting back with ideas.