Finally, a subject comes up on this list where I know what I am talking
about... ;o)

> I have installed smb_auth but cannot seem to get it work... currenlty I am
e-mailing the author.

I have been using smb-auth since e-smith 3.1. It was one of the first things
I had to do to get the bosses to agree to any sort of internet access at
all.

> I installed the rpm.... rpmfind.net. All went ok except it asked for Squid
> ver2??? I forced the install. I setup squid.conf & placed my proxyauth
file
> into my netlogon directory..... All it did was block access to squid
> completely...?

Are you sure you have your ACL right? Do all the users have "read" rights on
the proxyauth file? If not, I compiled from source: there may be a
difference with the RPM version.

For my set up I have the following changes to squid.conf (template of
course!)
"TAG: authenticate_program" is set to "authenticate_program
/usr/bin/smb_auth -W DOMAIN"
I added an ACL entry: "acl AUTH_REQD proxy_auth REQUIRED"
and I only have 2 http_access statements after the "INSERT YOUR OWN RULES
HERE":
http_access allow SMRO
http_access deny all

> I have found that there is another possible authentication method using
> mysql ... is this an alternate?

> Does Squid come with built authentication...? NCSA?

Never bothered trying the others: this works perfectly, and it is one less
password for my users to forget. There are quite a few that come with the
source for Squid 2.4, all listed at
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-23.html

Regards

Dave Evans