On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Ross Laver wrote:

> The manual says that for users upgrading from version 4.0.1, the upgrade
> process removes the previously-required domain prefix of 'e-smith' from
> domains associated with the e-smith server.

The manual has not yet been updated with newer information. The 'e-smith.'
domain prefix (not trailing period) is preserved for upgrades, but omitted
from new installs. This will allow the phase out of the default 'e-smith.'
local domain prefix, but not break existing networks.

> As I read this (perhaps incorrectly) that means I should still be able to
> use the prefix of e-smith, since I did a new install, not an upgrade, over
> 4.0.1. (I did try to restore backed up data, but it didn't work - as
> previously reported.)

It should have worked without change if you did an upgrade rather than
install/restore.

And you can still set up the prefix from the command line:

/sbin/e-smith/db configuration LocalDomainPrefix e-smith.
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event console-save

This will be documented in the manual or other documentation.

> Nevertheless, www.e-smith.rosslaver.com/e-smith-manager doesn't work (a
> shame, because I'm one of those who likes the prefix :-))

It certainly has its usefulness.

> www.rosslaver.com/e-smith-manager does get me the manager, but in the
> browser's address field always appears as http://192.168.1.1:980/

Noted.

> Not sure if this is a bug or not. Hope this report is of some use.

Thanks Ross.

  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada