I have been involved in development of an open source contacts
manager/directory called Rolodap.

Rolodap is designed to be an easy to use way for an organization to
build an organizational contacts database . It uses a shared dtaabse,
but present the contacts as a series of individual addressbooks. Rolodap
requires php4 and an ldap server such as OpenLdap .

There is a much abused demo at http://www.dewittross.com/rolodap/   (the
demo is a bit slow because the ldap server is located elsewhere from the
demo) . The development is on sourceforge at
http://rolodap.sourceforge.net

I recently installed e-smith on my home network.  It struck me that
Rolodap  might be a useful addition to e-smith, particularly since you
already run openldap.

Would there be interest?

Regards,
John Lederer