On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >So, as Charlie said, if you have particulars ones which need attention in
> >mind, please let devinfo know, preferably with a suggestion of the correct
> >structure.
>
> /etc/fetchmail
> i think the structure suggests itself

We wouldn't be asking if we could read your mind! :-)

> i did ask if fetchmail could be split before, i have a lot of respect
> for the e-smith team you've all forgotten more than i'll know if you
> let a suggestion go through to the keeper, i assume you had your
> reasons and work around it

There is also the possibility that we've been busy doing many things and
just haven't done it yet :-) If we have reasons, we'll try to explain
them.

> is their a reason you use /etc/startmail instead of
> adding a line such as set daemon 60  to /etc/fetchmail to collect mail

That decision goes back to the time of the company founders.

> is it to suit small business in areas of free local calls to periodically
> collect their mail ?

Quite possibly. Certainly the "free local calls" factor was a basic design
premise, and that was one which becomes a problem once a server is set up
in a "charged local calls" location.

> e-smith-isp is still struggling to cleanly avoid these calls
> i may delete/move /etc/startmail

That's certainly one option. I'm sure that we can find a better one
though. What rules do you think are appropriate, and we'll see if we can
make them avaiable (or possible, via extra template fragments)?

  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada