I'm very happy with the team of e-smith and wish you all a good and sucessfully new
year 2001.

I'm using in 'Remote access':
Secure shell (ssh) access: public
Allow administrative command line access over ssh: no
Allow ssh access using standard passwords: yes

So I can log in with my normal user account and then make a 'su root' to administrate
the server.
I tried a few wrong passwords and after a reconnect of the stopped SSH connection I
was able to guess other passwords. It seemed that there is no limit.

Would it not be useful to limit the password tries of normal accounts to 3 or 5 and
then block the account with 'passwd -l <account>' until a specific time or/and reset
it with the e-smith-password ?

Michael Jung

-----
Kassel University
Michael Jung (FB16 IEE-RE)
Wilhelmshoeher Allee 73
D-34121 Kassel
Fon. +49 561 804-6201 /-6377
Fax. +49 89 1488-205245

PGP Public Key Fingerprint http://wwwkeys.pgp.net
1ACD B36E 6BB2 60C6 CD35  2917 5B5D 5938 63F2 3065