On 8 Mar 2001, at 10:57, David Erdman wrote:

> Has anyone else had this problem?  I recently applied the rpms
> suggested by the 4.1.1 bug fixes... http://www.e-smith.org/bugs.php3
>
> Anyways, afterwards my esmith console said at the top "changes not
> saved etc..." so I did a "/sbin/e-smith/signal-event console-save" Was
> this the right thing to do?
>
> Now, my email isnt working at all (messages dont arrive) I can send
> out messages, but messages sent to the esmith server
> dissapear.......is this a bug? Or did I do something wrong. Please
> help.

I had exactly the same problem... I posted the problem here early
yesterday, but had no response. But I figure the dev team may be
working on something else for me, so I'm going to complain.

I also submitted it to bugs@e-smith-com today.

I've included my original message below...It explains what I did to
fix it.

Dean

----------begin original message---------------------

Hey Guys,

I grabbed the 4 available updates from the e-smith site yesterday and

 applied them to my 4.1.1 server. Unfortunately I experience a major
hiccup.

FTR, I applied the following updates...
e-smith-ntp-1.2.0-13.noarch.rpm
e-smith-email-4.4.0-16.noarch.rpm
e-smith-obtuse-smtpd-1.2.0-03.noarch.rpm
e-smith-backup-1.2.0-11.noarch.rpm

I had a custom smtpd_check_rules template, a custom rcpthosts (as a
backup to smtp_check_rules) , and smtproutes templates. There are
only 2
users, one of which has a Pseudonym, and there was  one virtual
domain.

After applying the updates, issuing a sig-event console-save,
rebooting, and double checking that my modifications where still in
place. All mail for this box started to disappear. I would send
through
another server, it would be delivered via the local network,  be
accepted
for delivery and then disappear. There would be no mail  files
written to
the Maildir directories of either user, and nothing  rejected, or
sent to
admin.

The only thing that would get through would be somtthing addressed to

 the Pseudonym.

I even tried restoring the original rpms for email and obtuse, and
that did not work either.

Does anyone have any insights. Did I miss something?

Dean

P.S.

I forgot to mention that because this was a production machine, I
need to get it up and running again ASAP, so I did a complete fresh
re-install of 4.1.1. I then retored my settings with the "restore
from desktop" feature. (needless to say I have no logs from the
failed updates)

NOW THERE IS ONE COOL OPTION!!!!

It took less than 20 min to go from a non-functioning system to a
working restored, fresh install. Try that with Windows. It can take
more than an hour just to install the OS.

Anyway, That's all for now...

Dean
----------end original message--------------------
Dean Staff