On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Noah Berlove wrote:

> I am very happy to see that MySQL is now part of the e-smith installation
> (I just installed 4.1 rc3).  However, the installation does not set the
> MySQL root password.

Not true, actually. The MySQL root password is set, although you can be
forgiven for thinking that it isn't, as root is able to run mysql from the
command line without password. This is because the password is contained
in the file /root/.my.cnf with permissions 0600, and the mysql command is
able to read that at startup. Non-root users are not able to access mysql
as root, as you can verify by creating a user, changing that user's shell
to bash using "chsh -s /bin/bash foo", then logging in as that user, then
typing:

$ mysql -u root
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)
$

  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada