Peter Samuel wrote:

>> As long as ~alias/.qmaillog exists, is owned by alias and has 0644
>
>Of course that should have been ~alias/.qmail-log

Of course... the only difference is that my .qmail-log reads
"/var/qmail/log/messages.log".

I guess that as long as its group ownership is "qmail", the file owner
doesn't need to be owned "alias" - I gave it to root:qmail, with a 644
protection mask, and it works. I could have tried a 640 mask, but I think it
was not so important.

The /var/qmail/log directory is owned by alias:qmail and has a 750 mask,
while the messages.log file is owned by alias:qmail with a 220 mask, so it
can be wrote by the qmail system but not read back by anybody, even its
owner - only by root.

It should be enough to keep away prying eyes...

As for the enabling/disabling of the log, I made exactly the tests you
suggested, and works like a charm. :)

--

Pierluigi Miranda