> On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 05:52:53PM +1300, Michael Doerner
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > [...]
> > P.S.: Nice to see another E-smith (+ ADSL) user in NZ!
>
> And really nice for us to see that the integration of PPPoE works
> elsewhere as well.
>
> Are the username/password for PPPoE screens worded clearly enough?
>
> Do you need username@carrier in N.Z., or just username? Both carriers
> in Ottawa use username@carrier.
>
> Anyone in other regions able to comment?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gordon
Gordon,

there is *no* PPPoE here at al in NZ.

The used Nokia "modems" provide full router functionality with 2 interfaces.
The internal interface is an Ethernet interface with a private IP and for
the external interface you can find some ISPs offering even a (public) fixed
IP, therefore you can run servers behind the ADSL modem quite easily. This
modem has to do NAT.

I have set up the E-smith box as a gateway with 2 interfaces, the external
IP in the same subnet as the modem's IP and the internal IP on my own
address range with all other LAN clients, therefore all Internet traffic has
to go through the E-smith gateway.
Even though the data is going twice through NAT now (on the modem and on
E-smith gateway), this works fine and I believe this to be most secure way.

Regards,
Michael Doerner