On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 05:42:06PM -0600, Tim Litwiller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> can we please be sure that this one will be fixed for 4.1

No, because I don't consider it to be a bug :-)

The subdomain is correct behaviour for _most_ people - it does no
harm, and allows people to easily have www.domain.com hosted offsite
with no further change required. You can use short names, or the FQDNs
including the domain prefix.

[See also the Hostnames and Addresses page]

> > 4.  I named my e-smith box "box".  In viewing the "Review Configuration"
> > section on the e-smith manager, it still showed all of the address's with
> > an e-smith host name.  (ex: ftp.e-smith.domain.com www.e-smith.domain.com).

If you look carefully in /home/e-smith/configuration, you will find

LocalDomainPrefix=e-smith.

has been automagically created for you. That is compatible with 4.0.1
- there is a local sub-domain constructed which prepends "e-smith." to
the domain name.

We don't want to automatically set that prefix to "box." as that would
mean that two e-smith servers on the same network would not be able to
live in the same sub-domain. This would happen if it followed the
SystemName.

However, you can set the LocalDomainPrefix to anything you like:

        LocalDomainPrefix=e-smith.      # Default if not defined
        LocalDomainPrefix=xxxxxxx.      # Anything you like, with trailing .
        LocalDomainPrefix=              # No prefix at all

Which method you want to use is up to your local requirements. Many
sites will want a subdomain as they will want something approaching a
split DNS.

The LocalDomainPrefix is not settable through the web panels as _most_
sites can happily use the default. If you want to set it:

  /sbin/e-smith/db configuration set LocalDomainPrefix 'xxxx.'

  /sbin/e-smith/db configuration set LocalDomainPrefix ''

Please let devinfo know if this not sufficiently flexible.

BTW: There is one last case which needs to be dealt with - broken ISPs
who require you to set the local domain to the domain of the ISP in
order to look at their site. They require this setting as their sites
have internal redirects to "www".

If you use one of these ISPs (cable providers mostly), you can work
around this problem at the client end by setting your DNS search order
to look up the ISP's domain first, and setting the DNS server to the
IP address of the e-smith server (do not use the ISP's DNS servers
directly - they will fail your local lookups - as they should). So,
when you look up "www", you will look up
"www.broken.cable.provider.com" first. The short names www, ftp, mail
will refer to the ISP's versions of these.

The other option is to use a URL rewriting package in squid as
suggested by Luke Drumm. We are also looking into that as a possible
solution.

Gordon
--
  Gordon Rowell                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)