On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, David Brown wrote:

> OK, so in an attempt to help, I followed Darrell May's HowTo, using
> the --force option to install the apache 1.3.19 rpm, then I get Charlie
> Brady's note about running it with the --nodeps option instead, so I install
> it this way ... without uninstalling first.   Better to think twice before
> doing once I guess :)  The end result being that I have 2 rpm listings that
> are identical "apache-1.3.19-5", which means, naturally, that I don't think
> I can easily remove either of them.  Is there a way to easily get one or the
> other out (or both) so things will work properly?

"rpm -e apache-1.3.14-3" might work. Doing the following will work:

rpm -e --nodeps apache-1.3.14-3
rpm -e --nodeps apache-1.3.19-5
rpm -Uhv --nodeps apache-1.3.19-5.i386.rpm

> On a less technically foolish note, the Apache bug report suggests upgrading
> to apache 1.3.20 (their latest), but the changes from 1.3.19 to 1.3.20 are
> mainly dealing with Win32 platforms, as you can see at
> http://httpd.apache.org/dist/httpd/CHANGES_1.3 If we are having problems
> with SSL, etc. perhaps we could drop back to a version in between 1.3.14-3
> and 1.3.19-5 to find a happy medium where pdf support is fixed and SSL isn't
> broken.

I believe that the problem with SSL is not the version of apache used, but
the match between the version of apache that mod_ssl was compiled against
not matching the current version of apache. This is also what the rpm
dependencies tell us - mod_ssl depends on apache 1.3.14, so you can't
upgrade apache without removing or upgrading mod_ssl.

I've rebuilt the RedHat 7.1 mod_ssl RPM against the version of openssl
used in e-smith 4.1.2, and placed the resultant mod_ssl-2.8.1-5.i386.rpm
in my contrib directory,
ftp://ftp.e-smith.org/pub/e-smith/contrib/CharlieBrady/RPMS/i386-RH7.0/.
[Please be sure to read
ftp://ftp.e-smith.org/pub/e-smith/contrib/CharlieBrady/README.]

You should now be able to upgrade apache and mod_ssl as a pair:

rpm -Uhv apache-1.3.19-5,i386.rpm mod_ssl-2.8.1-5.i386.rpm
/sbin/e-smith/expand-template /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
/etc/rc7.d/S85httpd-e-smith restart

Charlie