> Hi Richard,
>
> I have done a lot of troubleshooting with Flexbackup in the past.  Maybe
> I can help.  One thing to note is that most DDS3/DDS4 tape drives have
> hardware compression enabled.  Now I know this is not something you want
> to do as a solution but for a test and to isolate the issue, have you
> tried disabling the hardware compression on the drive?
>
> Another question would be to look at the backup script itself so may I
> assume e-smith has tried various changes to /sbin/e-smith/backup and the
> mt command directly and nothing helped?

Well yeah to remove or change it.  However that could mean backups would
appear to work and when a real problem arrises it would not be known?

I think that the modification of the mt commands and the e-smith backup is a
last case solution and certainly needs to be forgotten about until we
isolate why mt is failing.  Firmware or drivers...

Cheers,
Richard.