Des,

> booted the Mandrake 2.2.14 kernel instead of the 2.2.16 in 4.1.2. I booted
> off the floppy I'd created during the installation, and it came up cleanly.

Gotta love those boot floppies!  :-)

> Now, I've done several e-smith installs, and I know it blows away the
> previous partition tables. This is, however, the first time I've tried with
> RAID 0.

Just to be sure we are clear... we're talking about RAID 1, right?

RAID 1 = disk mirroring and is what we include in the product (as a
software implementation)

RAID 0 is disk striping *without* parity or any other form of protection
and in fact provides *zero* protection to your system.  If anything, it
makes your system *less* secure, in my opinion, because it introduces
more points of failure (multiple disk drives).  Some people do use
disk striping as it can provide a speed increase - but we (e-smith) do
not support it and most likely *never* will.

I assume it was just a typo, but want to make sure we're all on the same
page.

> Can anyone explain what happened, and what I can do to fix it so I
> won't have to boot off floppy again?

Hmmmm... I haven't run into this problem personally.  Somehow you have
to get the master boot record to point to where your e-smith install is.
There's probably an fdisk command to do it. My brain can't think of it right
now.

> One other point - I noticed that I
> seem to be lacking a fair amount of my 4 GB - /dev/md1 is about 2 GB,
> /dev/md0 is 15 MB and the swap partition is 256 MB. Surely the RAID 0
> overhead is not this high?

Hmmm... no, it won't eat up that much space.  The funky thing about the
software implementation of RAID1 that Red Hat Linux uses (and that we
then use) is that it requires two disk drives that are identical. Ideally,
even to the identical manufacturer.  But at least to the same size,
number of cylinders, etc.

It sounds to me like maybe the RAID1 software got confused by existing
partitions and such and didn't know how to properly set up the system.
My suggestion would be similar to what Darrell said - wipe the drives
completely (both of them) and then try the installation again.  You might
also try booting with a DOS floppy that has fdisk and making sure that
the partition table is completely erased.

If after all of that the install still doesn't give you more space,
then there might be other issues we need to look at.

Regards,
Dan
--
Dan York, Director of Training        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ph: +1-613-751-4401  Mobile: +1-613-263-4312 Fax: +1-613-564-7739