From: Dan Brown [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2001 8:30 PM
To: Dan Brown
Cc: Trevor Ouellette; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [e-smith-devinfo] Samba 2.2.1a released

Quoting Dan Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> 4.  mv /etc/samba/* /etc
> 5.  ln -s /etc /etc/samba

    On second thought (and some analysis by David Brown), No. 5 is a bad
idea.
The system may check for the existence of files in /etc/samba, and if it
finds
them, remove them and replace them with symlinks to the same files in /etc.
Instead of symlinking the whole directory to /etc, it'd be better to
leave /etc/samba/ in place, and create symlinks there to the appropriate
files:

# ln -s /etc/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf
# ln -s /etc/smbpasswd /etc/samba/smbpasswd
# ln -s /etc/MACHINE.SID /etc/samba/MACHINE.SID
# ln -s /etc/lmhosts /etc/samba/lmhosts
# ln -s /etc/smbusers /etc/samba/smbusers

--
Dan Brown, KE6MKS, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Since all the world is but a story, it were well for thee to buy the more