On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Justin Funke wrote:

> - Now back to this blade thing. Please excuse my lack of understanding on
> the details of GPL I've never had to read this deep into it before.
>
> Say I write a package that integrates an IDS into the VME5. If it is at all
> based on any GPL code I am required to license it as GPL and not sell it as
> a blade.(I think)

No, not true.

If you produce software which is derived from GPL code, you must comply
with the GPL licensing conditions, because otherwise you are in breach of
copyright. The license conditions are listed in the file COPYING which
accompanies most/all GPL software and they are explained on the Free
Software Foundation website (http://www.fsf.org).

You can sell "your" package for whatever you like, but you must comply
with the license. The license, amongst other things, requires you to make
the source code available, and for you to allow others to distribute the
source code, the package, and any other derived packages as well.

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739