http://www.isc.org/ml-archives/dhcp-server/1999/07/msg00412.html
http://www.isc.org/ml-archives/dhcp-server/1999/07/msg00422.html

This is from the isc.org list and they are having a similar problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Powell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 10:14 AM
To: Trevor Ouellette; Graeme Robinson; John Powell
Cc: E-Smith Devinfo
Subject: RE: [e-smith-devinfo] DHCP Server Problem??

> So, could the problem be with the DHCPD server?  DHCP was working for a
> few months without any problems, now it stops recognizing "NEW" machines
> introduced to the system.

I doubt it, but would rule nothing out.  Going by your logs, the client is
the one "dropping the ball".  To make it clearer, the normal init sequence
looks like this:

C: DHCPDISCOVER (client asking for IP)
S: DHCPOFFER (server dishing out an IP)
C: DHCPREQUEST (client accepting the offerred IP)
S: DHCPACK (server finalizing the process)

>From your logs, the process gets through to the OFFER, which means it
"recognizes" the client and is offering an IP.  The client is not accepting
it for some reason, not even NAKing it, which suggests either the client
doesn't see the response, or is choking on it for some reason.  It does not
sound like a server problem.  Even if the server is offering up junk, the
client should NAK it.

> For one client computer... it worked the day before, the next day (poof),
> no IP address designation... strange.

That is, indeed, strange.  Is it possible to get a sniffer like trace of
this in action?  Ethereal is a fine choice, or any other product with a
decent decoded output.

You might also want to check out www.isc.com (makers of the DHCP server in
e-smith) or a google search and see if they have some hints on known
problems with Wintel clients.  I don't know of any (ISC's server is
generally solid as a rock).

JP