Has anyone used the iwill SIDE-RAID controller with e-smith 4.1.2?

This card uses the High Point HPT370 IDE RAID controller chip.

I can access drives connected to the card, but only by booting a
pre-installed e-smith connected to the MB IDE port and loading the hpt370.o
module.
The partition can then be mounted as normal.

However, trying to install a fresh e-smith with the primary drive connected
to the card results in the installation not finding a drive to install to.

Connecting a pre-installed HDD to the card and then booting results in a
kernel panic, just after the Linux SCSI drivers initialise in the boot
process.

Has anyone found a workaround to using such a card ? I believe the Adaptec
IDE RAID controller has a similar problem.

What IDE RAID controller is supported by e-smith for a standard install ?

Regards
Sasha Malic