Hi Alain,

> I installed e-smith-monitor on one E-smith server v4.1.2 and all went OK.

  :)

> On a second E-smith v4.1.2, the monitor did not work at all, and the only
> difference between the 2 is that in the second case, I changed the system
> time *after* installing e-smith monitor. I also keep getting an error
> message "illegal attempt to update using time (...) when last update time
> is (...). I tried removing and reinstalling, but I still get this symptom.
> Any suggestions ?

  As you commented just remove all the databases (.rrd) in /var/lib/rrd and
restart the daemon or reinstall.

  Now the cause: as has been commented already, RRDTool (not just the
monitor) uses a timestamp for every data that is recorded. It's strong
enough to correct some time drifts (for example when you try to update every
minute and was just 59 seconds) but won't accept any data with a time stamp
that is "older" than values in the database (as if you change the system
time from 3:00AM to 2:00AM) and will make some mistakes if the data is newer
(from 3:00 to 4:00) but in this case without error (the average wont be
right).

  This caused an error under heavy load in the old release that we hope has
been solved in this version but nobody pointed this possibility and we
didn't think about it :(

  The error is easy to solve and the new release (2.00-02) due next weekend
(I am away all this week) will solve it. It wont update the database if the
time is older than the ones allready in the database. This way you might
miss some data after a season time change (from 3 to 2) but wont get those
email errors.

  BTW, has anybody using ntp found this error? I guess only if your machine
has a biiiiig time drift (more than a minute) you should find the same error
when the system updates it's clock.

  One last comment, we have just been told that the new version (2.0) uses
about 1/3 to 1/4 of system resources than the older one (1.0) :))))

  Regards.