Can anyone offer some help in getting SME Server V5.0 working in
server-only mode?

I am behind a router, and thus only need server functionality.

When I bring up the system after configuring it, eth0 is always down.

I have tried the usual: ifconfig eth0 down; ifconfig eth0 up and it give
me the following error:
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable

I have tried three different PCI network adaptors (all working under
Windows), all give the same result.

The drivers used are: rtl8139.o, and ne2k-pci.o.  Two of the card types
use the Realtech 8139 chip.

These same cards have worked using those drivers under versions of RHL
7.0 and prior.

In my version of RHL7.1, a 2.4 kernel is used: 2.4.2-2 to be exact.  In
that kernel, on the same machine, it uses 8139too.o instead of
rtl8139.o.  On a version of RHL7.0, with kernel 2.2.16-22, it uses
rtl8139.o just fine.  And RHL7.0 uses the ne2k-pci.o just fine, too.

This makes me suspect that the problem is not the machine
(motherboard/bios), not the network adapter (ne2k or rtl8139), but the
configuration of SME Server.

Has anyone seen this or have any ideas of what to look for?

Thanks!