I think it is good practice to try to define a project before crashing in
and starting work. That being the case, here are my thoughts. Please
everyone make comment.

I can imagine this scenario:

Teleworkers / Roadwarriors with dynamically assigned IPs connect to

A Branch Office which in turn connects to:

The Head Office.

It is possible / likely that some of the Teleworkers / Roadwarriors will
have non-SME IPSec equipment.
It is possible / likely that the Head and/or Branch Offices will have
non-SME IPSec equipment.

So I think we should be driving FreeS/Wan for SME to have the following
capabilities:
These capabilities should be able to work together concurrently:
It should be able to act as "server" for a set of local teleworkers
It should be able to act as "client" for a "server" further up the food
chain.
It should be able to connect to _any_ IPSec compatible equipment.

The above are "logical" connections and have nothing to do with the
actualities of configuring FreeS/WAN (which as I understand has no concept
of server / client)

In the SME context though, I do have a question to do with browsing
computers:
If you are one of the Teleworkers connected to the Branch Office: Should you
/ could you browse the computers in the Head Office LAN?
How does this fit in with WINS and or DNS. I suppose we must assume that
most desktops will be Windoze Boxen.

Remember, this is a document about what could be our end goal. There are
many other possibilities, but I feel it is important to scope our project
fairly early on, that way we will know when to stop.

On top of the "back-end process" above, we need to think about how we make
it easy for non-experts to configure SME to act in whichever way the
end-user requires, together perhaps with some basic feedback to non-experts
which will confirm that the connection is up and runnig smoothly.

As always, comment welcome (don fireproof suit now)

Hugh