On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 02:41:43PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello
>
> Just a quick question for the hard-working folks at Mitel. Sorry if this
> ground has been covered already or if this isn't the best question for the
> dev-info list.

This isn't really the appropriate forum, but there is some development
crossover, so I'll make an exception...

> There are 3 things that I feel are must haves to make SME server the
> complete package. They are:
>
> 1. Port forwarding

This is likely to be packaged as a blade in the future once someone writes
the user interface (a nice task for someone on devinfo).

> 2. Win2K/XP Domain controller

This is in SME Server 5.1 and being tested by the devinfo community.

> 3. Backup Domain controller

We have no current plans to do this, but if people contribute the changes,
we would be interested.

> I realize that there are contrib rpms and howtos for 1 and 2, but having
> this functionality pre-configured and availble in the e-smith-manager would
> be infinitely valuable.
>
> My question is - is this planned for the next release or future releases of
> SME server?

Features for future releases primarily depend on demand from our authorized
partners and their customers. Registering servers for support with our
partners is a good way to help influence our development priorities.

> [...]
> P.S. Just FYI - Our setup here is e-smith 4.1.1 as the PDC, DHCP server,
> and DNS server for 45 or so Win9x and NT 4 workstations.  It is in
> server-only mode as we use Gnatbox for our firewall/gateway. Life is good
> with 2 less NT servers on the network :-)

Sounds great, but you should upgrade to at least 4.1.2 and I would suggest
SME Server V5, since V5.1 is now undergoing Alpha testing.

Gordon
--
  Gordon Rowell                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  VP Engineering