On Tuesday November 06 19:43, Charlie Brady wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Michael Doerner wrote:
>
> > Now as far as I understand it, the problem seems to be the 2GB single file
> > size limitation for ext2 filesystem.
>
> The RedHat kernel has large file size patches that allow single files up
> to 8GB. There is no 2GB file size limitation in SME V5.

My nightly tar based backup to an IDE disk also failed, as the archive file
exceeded the 2GByte size. It appears, that the 2G file size limit is still there.

I cannot create files larger than 2G using tar, cat or dd. E.g.:

[root@mail /root]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test count=2048 bs=1M
dd: writing `test': File too large
2048+0 records in
2047+0 records out

[root@mail /root]# ls -l test
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root     2147483647 Nov 24 17:03 test

I have the same results on a SME5 with 20G IDE disk and on SME5 with
33G Dell PERCRAID5. Both tests were run on the / file system

Regards,
Michael Weinberger