On 28 Nov 2001, Greg J. Zartman wrote:

> > I'm with you on that, Greg. The big killer is when what should be data
> > files become part of the profile, rather than just per-user configuration
> > information. Outlook mailboxes comes to mind.

Personally I think there should be no data in a profile.  All the
profile should be is your colour scheme, registry and desktop
icons, etc.

I hate to make the mistake of unzipping something big to a temp
folder on my desktop and then going through the ten minute (or
worse) logout and login again.  Not to mention the problem of
logging in on multiple computers and figuring out which copy of
what is more current...

[snip]
> If someone out there has a magical receipt for making this all work without
> having to go drink six cups of coffee while my profile loads up, I'm all
> ears...

We don't use Outlook here for email at all but a few users are using
it *strictly* for scheduling appointments, etc.

To keep the outlook.pst file out of the profile (and off the local
machine), all we do is create a folder on the users home drive,
H:\Outlook, and move the outlook.pst file there.  The file will alway
be in the same place when you log on to other computers.

When you next start Outlook it will complain that it can't find the
file and ask you to point to it.  Open the file from the home drive
and Outlook will happily use the it from there, from then on.

Daniel van Raay