G'day all,

I recently got a Winbond 840 based card working with e-smith 4.1.2, and have
made some notes that I would like to turn into a HOWTO eventually. Basically I
added the driver to the modules directory and edited the pcitable file. I
didn't expect to have to reboot twice though.

Can someone explain when the list of ethernet drivers in the console gets
regenerated, and if there is an easier way to get it updated than rebooting?

Brad

-----------------------
Introduction
I recently bought a TRENDnet TW100-S4PCI four port switch card. For
those not familiar with the hardware, it is a PCI card with a five
port switch built into it. One of the switch ports is connected to a
Winbond W89C840 10/100Mbps ethernet chip, and the other four ports are
available on the outside of the PCI card. Probably a pretty useful
card for a small office setup.
The outside of the box says "Compatible with Major Network Operating
Systems", so I knew it'd be supported by Linux :-)

Problem Statement
The switch functionality worked fine. Unfortunately the Winbond
W89C840 PCI ethernet adapter
wasn't recognised by e-smith 4.1.2 (nor with 5.0, but I wanted to
stick with 4.1.2 in any case).

Fix
1. Download the drivers from Trendnet's web site
(http://www.trendware.com/downloads/_downloads.htm, and work through
the dialogs). Extract the zip file.
2. The file you need is called winbond-840.o. Copy it into
/lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/ on the e-smith server.
3. Open /usr/share/kudzu/pcitable, and scroll down until you find the
line with vendor ID 0x1050 and product ID 0x0840 (they are the first
two columns). You should see a description of the card on the right
hand side. Change the "unknown" to "winbond-840".
4. Reboot
5. Run through the console configuration, and you should be given the
option of selecting this card. Obviously you need to select it at this
point.
6. You will need to reboot again.
7. You now have network connectivity on that card :)

Caveats and Limitations
A. This probably only works with uP.
B. You would probably need to find another source of the driver to
make it work on e-smith 5.0, although a simple recompile of the source
code (winbond-840.c) provided in the TRENDnet download would be
enough.

Questions or Feedback
Contact Brad Hards ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) with any questions or
suggestions on this HOWTO.