----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Zartman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Kevin Tollison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Devinfo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2001 8:25 PM
Subject: Re: [e-smith-devinfo] Samba 3.0 Alpha

> > Thanks for the warning about alphas. I have cleaned up many of my own
> messes
> > after an alpha experiment
 Actually, the Samba team is VERY conservative.  Their alpha software is
 usually on par with typical beta software.  You can bet that Samba 3.0
alpha
 will work and be better than 90% stable.  When I first started using Samba
 is was on Mandrake Linux.  I HAD to have domain support for my office so I
 ran  2.0 - 2.1 alphas for several months without incident.

 I found it very useful to run CVS versions of the production line of Samba.
 It made it very easy to upgrade my system in the event that a bug was found
 or a critical feature was added.  Granted, this is too bleeding edge for
 some, but I NEVER had a problem one.   If I did get a bad snapshot or
 something,  I'd simply reinstall one of the older snapshots I had on my
 system.

 I certainly didn't mean to discourage you.  If you've used Samba, you won't
 have a problem compiling and installing a CVS snapshot.  Just don't run 3.0
 on a production setup.  Playhing with the alphas is the best way to learn
 what the Samba guys are up to and prepare yourself for the actual release.
 Seeing as they've publically  announced this, I'm betting a production
 release of 3.0 will be out inside of three months.

 Greg Zartman