On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'd like to add some virtual hosts on an SMEserver
> where the content is entirely provided by
> ProxyPass / http://other-firewalled-server/
> with the corresponding ProxyPassReverse.
> ProxyPass at that point.   Port forwarding won't
> work because I want to use https to the SMEserver
> with the backend speaking only http.

You aren't the only one to have had that itch to scratch. If you go to:

 ftp://ftp.e-smith.org/pub/e-smith/dev/5.1beta/updates/

you'll soon (in about 20 minutes) find:

 e-smith-proxypass-1.0.0-01.noarch.rpm

 Name        : e-smith-proxypass            Relocations: (not relocateable)
 Version     : 1.0.0                             Vendor: (none)
 Release     : 01                            Build Date: Fri 21 Dec 2001 03:09:52 PM
EST
 Install date: (not installed)               Build Host: lamington.ottawa.e-smith.com
 Group       : Networking/Daemons            Source RPM:
e-smith-proxypass-1.0.0-01.src.rpm
 Size        : 7540                             License: e-smith, inc
 Packager    : e-smith developers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Summary     : e-smith server and gateway - proxypass module.
 Description : e-smith server and gateway software - proxypass module.

 This module allows Apache to be configured to pass requests for
 specified URLs through to other internal or external web sites.
 Access to the passthrough locations is optionally restricted
 to particular IP addresses or ranges.

 To create a passthrough URL, add an entry to the accounts db:

 /sbin/e-smith/db accounts set path1 ProxyPass Target http://some.where/blah \
        ValidFrom 127.0.0.1,203.25.102.15,203.25.100.0/24
 /sbin/e-smith/signal-event console-save

 To allow the URL to be passed through when accessed via HTTP as well as
 when accessed via HTTPS, add a "Protocol http" property.

This does most of what you want. Check it out.

The development of this module was funded by Reynolds and Reynolds, Inc,
and has been released with the blessings of Scott Smith, of that
corporation. Thanks, Scott and thanks ReyRey!

As long as it checks out OK, this module should appear in 5.1.

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739