On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Ruwan Jayasinghe wrote:

> I am thinking of doing a howto on using one ethernet card and aliasing
> one of the IP addresses.. I know how to do it but not being a
> security expert I have some questions.
>
> 1. Does it really affect the security setup of a stock 4.12 - 5.1?

Yes. Significantly. It becomes relatively easy to spoof a "trusted"
address if traffic from both trusted and untrusted addresses arrive on the
same network interface. "Dual homing" is an important part of standard
network security design. You would be unwise to abandon it.

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739