On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 08:57:07AM -0500, Noah Berlove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Charlie,
>
> Maybe I'm not reading the question correctly, but how is PHP different in
> this case to Perl?  PHP is also installed as a binary on the server
> (/usr/bin/php), so you should be able to write PHP scripts that have
> whatever rights and permissions you want.

One doesn't follow from the other. Setuid Perl programs work because
Perl ships with a wrapper that magically handles setuidness even
though the Linux kernel explicitly ignores the setuid bit on scripts;
there's no equivalent with PHP.

(Even then, the discussion was really about mod_php, where the PHP
code essentially becomes part of the running webserver; mod_perl works
the same way.)

> As long as the script can be run by the web server, it should work.

No, it will be run with the webserver user's privileges.

  -Rich

       Technical Support Engineer, Network Server Solutions Group
    Mitel Networks, Ottawa, ON                        (613) 751-4404