so far I have gotten e-smith 5.1.2 to see the card but it tells me the
the wavelan2_cs.o file is
missing,  which is correct.  So I downloaded the source and looked at
the dirrections.

they go something like this:

extract these source files
get the pcmcia package from sourceforge
get the kernel sources for your distro - need to have the complete sources
extract it over this package
then run ./Build from this directory
then run ./Install from this directory

I downloaded all the packages for compiling
and the kernel sources. but I wasn't able to find what version of the
pcmcia package our kernel-pcmcia includes.

This is on my home machine so I won't be able to check for more details till
this evening.