There have been a number of reports similar to this coming to my attention:

http://www.e-smith.org/bboard//read.php?f=3&i=14172&t=12950

Appears there may be an issue with PPTP VPN connectivity, samba and Windows
clients.  I can't see that anyone has addressed this or offered a solution.
In many cases the solution implemented and reported successful has been to
remove SME 5.1.2 and return to SME 5.0 or even 4.1.2.  Not the preferred
solution but I suppose it worked before so people are returning to what they
know works.

I have not been able to dublicate these issues however I am running samba
2.2.3a so I thought it may be samba related.  Samba 2.2.3a is the
recommended stable current release and prior releases are known to have
problems with Windows Explorer and Network Neighborhood.

This upgrade has been available for a while as Greg Zartman brought this to
the lists attention back in February and Charlie Brady built and released
the rpms within a few days after notice.  I've had it available on my site
as well.  Today I have released an updated Howto.

http://myezserver.com/downloads/mitel/contrib/samba-2.2.3-a/

I'm wondering if you would take the time to test PPTP VPN connectivity
before and after upgrade and report if you notice any problems and if samba
2.2.3-a resolves these.

Darrell May
DMC Netsourced.com
http://netsourced.com