Ari Novikoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Well, AFAICT, file sharing using PHProjekt is fairly secure as well.

I do not believe it is.  Here is what everyone should consider.  No matter
what the application tries to implement in security, this is simply smoke
and mirrors.

If it is a web-based app, that means 'www' owns the file storage area.  This
is required to permit the web-based app to upload files.

This means even if you use SSL, anyone using the web-based app can hack on
through and get full access to all files, regardless of what the app
attempts to state.  The owner of the session is 'www', not any defined
logged in user/password.  This is why I state security is non-existent
because it can be easily broken.  Anyone using the app has full rights to
all your files and all directory shares it owns.

The only web-based file sharing implementation that is secure in any way is
one that stores the files in the mySQL database.  Unfortunately there are
some minor and major obstacles to overcome.  Minor is the SME mySQL version
is old and has a current limit of 16MB file upload/download sizes.  Easily
solved by a mySQL upgrade.  Second and more troubling is IE >5.5 can not
access files in a mySQL database, for upload/download using SSL.  Known bug
so all IE users must use an insecure connection which defeats the purpose.

Now, with this information, if you choose to continue to use a web-based
file sharing app, that is your choice.

With my KISS solution you at least limit exposure by implementing apache
security.  Each share is unique.  Each share has a defined access list.  Yes
all users in the list have full rights but at least they only have full
rights to the one directory.

It is the best I have come up with so far and I have tested 'just' about
ever groupware and file sharing app mentioned and even some that I have
searched and found.

Hope this info helps.

Darrell May
DMC Netsourced.com