I can understand the frustration that some have with some of these
development issues, however I would like to say that many of the people
that I know that are running the e-smith server have need of the modules
that have not yet been ported to the newer kernel.

With that said,

The cost of hardware is so phenominally cheap nowadays, what is wrong
with a simple strategy of using SME at the front door on a cheap 586
with a couple of drives and pci network cards and then putting a
high-end, latest and greatest redhat/whatever server behind that to
handle all the other connectivity and email issues that seem to drive so
many people a little batty?

For example,

Here at my home I have a dual processor (older system - 233 MHz) on the
backend running Redhat 7.2 as well as a Dell 600MHz MS Small Business
Server. Admittedly, the MS box is overkill for home use, but it was a
gift from my former emploer (the op sys, not the computer) and it
alleviates many problems with W2K connectivity.

All play nice together and my uptimes with the basic, extremely stable,
SME box are excellent and all the systems behind the SME server play
nice. It also gives me a nice development platform when I have the time
to play around. (Being a full-time returning University student after
many years in the work force ain't easy)

Just a thought.  Am I off-base here?

Please don't hesitate to comment or give me hell if you wish to do so.

Regards,

John C.