I am allowing remote access via SSH and port forwarding, but would like to
be notified via email of when users are logging in (and ideally off), and
where they are logging in from.

Before I run off and do this myself, I wanted to check to see if it has
already been done?

I was probably just going to use a Python script to parse /var/log/messages.
(Perl might be better for the job, but I know Python).  There is possibly a
better way (such as something called directly by sshd).

Cheers,

Rasjid.