Not sure this really answers your question although it is related and
someone might find it useful.

I just stumbled across a little program for nix called "CheckInstall" (
http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/ ). Looks like it could be
useful in at least getting some rpm's built quickly.

>From the site's frontpage:

"A lot of people has asked me how can they remove from their boxes a
program they compiled and installed from source. Some times -very few-
the program's author adds an uninstall rule to their Makefile, but
that's not usually the case. This is my primary reason to write
CheckInstall. After you ./configure; make your program, CheckInstall
will run make install (or whatever you tell it to run) and keep track of
every file modified by this installation, using the excelent
installwatch utility written by Pancrazio 'Ezio' de Mauro
([EMAIL PROTECTED]).

When make install is done, CheckInstall will create a Slackware, RPM or
Debian compatible package and install it with Slackware's installpkg,
"rpm -i" or Debian's "dpkg -i" as appropriate, so you can view it's
contents with pkgtool ("rpm -ql" for RPM users or "dpkg -l" for Debian)
or remove it with removepkg ("rpm -e"|"dpkg -r"). Additionally, this
script will leave you a copy of the installed package in the source
directory so you can install it wherever you want, which is my second
motivation: I don't have to compile the same software again and again
every time I need to install it on another box :-)."

There is also a short how-to =>
http://www.lycoris.org/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=50
On the Lycoris (worth checking out as well)web site.

Best Regards,
 Noah Genner
 SOHO Computing Solutions
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]