From: Alin Osan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Friday 09 August 2002 13:08, jose velez wrote:
> Since the 5.6 will not upgrade the file system to ext3 have you made any
> plans to develop a migrate utility to backup users, group, setup (ip, name
> etc), emails so you could backup to a file and re-install or built a
> temporary server and do a migrate server to server.

Migration from ext2 to ext3 is fair enough.
To convert to ext3 you need to create a journal file for every ext2 partition
by:

tune2fs -j /dev/hdXX

After that replace ext2 with ext3 in /etc/fstab.

A reboot might be needed.
I tested it on e-smith 4.1.2, 5.0, 5.1.2, 5.5 and it worked for me. I can
write a complete guide if this is needed by e-smith users. I haven't tested
yet on 5.6 but I intend to test 5.6 next week.
More about migration from ext2 to ext3 can be found at:
http://www.symonds.net/~rajesh/howto/ext3/toc.html

--

Alin Osan
Network Administrator