> From: Paul Miller [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> And I thought it is the right/responsibility of the developer to
> accept/reject/ignore any and all suggestions from the community with
> priority given to developing good code.  Do you think Linus
> incorporates every patch or even responds to all of them? I don't see
> complains about his policy. This isn't slashdot where anyone can
> create an agenda and vent their frustration.

The issue isn't what bugs get fixed or how, it is whether all of the
existing bugs have to be a surprise to everyone who attempts to
test the beta versions.  I don't think you will see Linus (or RedHat)
doing anything to make communication among beta testers difficult
because they understand the value they add when properly encouraged.

> It seems like this list continues to gain immature members who offer
> criticism on policy but no practical information.

I post my viewpoint because the policy affects me directly.  Admittedly
I have installed SMEserver on several machines, only one of which
has paid service but still the consumer experience is the same.
I don't expect any software to be bug-free, but I really don't
like unnecessary surprises which is why I spend time on lists
such as this one.  Examples of things I feel should have been
discussed, and which caused problems on my production machines
are the change in meaning of 'everybody' (from any user that can
access the network to only users with logins on this machine) and
the change to disallow 'local networks' that don't have a router
specified that can be reached through the local network interface.
I'm sure these have caused lost production time for others also
that could have been avoided if the different behavior had been
mentioned on the mailing list by the first one who noticed it.
After the fact, I surmise that one of these changes was an
intentional tightening of security, the other is a bug.

These are just examples that happened to affect me. I don't mean
to single them out as unusual problems or make any demands about
fixing them. I think they are typical of problems that will always
exist and the best defense is the early warning we could give each
other if bugs were a permitted topic here.

  Les Mikesell
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]