Gordon Rowell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> hdparm is explicitly disabled on upgrades as we have had numerous
> reports of serious system problems when hdparm was enabled. We took the
> safe option of disabling it so that those who know what they are doing
> can change the setting if required.

Upgrade or Update - We have had previously enabled HDPARM disabled by the
update3 on 5.1.2

> NOTE: We are removing all configuration of hdparm in 5.6 If you wish to
> enable it, have a look at /etc/sysconfig/harddisks (the hdparm command
> will still be there, we just won't do anything with it by default).

Thank you

FYI - hdparm -tT /dev/hda shows disk (not buffer) xfer speeds of 2-3 mbps
disabled and 20+ mbps enabled

That's a HUGE difference

> > We assume that the signal-event post-upgrade command has reset all altered
> > /home/e-smith/configuration service parameters to default (atalk - which we
> > usually disable - has also been enabled) If this is the "normal" result of
> > running the command then this is not a Bug, If this should not happen then
> > perhaps this could be forwarded to bugs@
>
> This would be a bug if it happens. To trace it we really need to see
> the state of the configuration database before and after the upgrade. If
> you could send that, and a bug report to [EMAIL PROTECTED], it would be
> much appreciated.
>
> [
>   To sound like a broken record, it is much more efficient if these
>   things go just to [EMAIL PROTECTED] as they get a trouble ticket
>   assigned, all details are collected in the ticket and it doesn't
>   start a stream of "me too" or "but it works for me" on devinfo.
> ]

I fully appreciate that Gordon - However, as i said, for all we knew a
post-upgrade event may restore defaults by design - in which case it would be a
"feature" :-)

We are sending the pre/post configuration file off our own server now and we
will try and collect some from our clients.

--
Regards

Rob Wellesley
---------