On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Darrell May wrote:

> John Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > Yes Darrell, any information about the failure may help me also.
>
> I believe the rewind after dd in /sbin/e-smith/backup (which I've removed)
> may be the cause of this.

The rewind cannot be the cause of the problem, since it just puts the tape
back to the beginning which is were we expect it to be when we perform a
backup. It *might* be a workaround which happens to work, just as the
"write a block of zeroes and then rewind" was a workaround which happened
to allow IDE tape backup work in the first place(*). The real cause lies
elsewhere.

> I am very interested in you finding a solution for their newer Seagate
> STT2401A-S 40GB IDE. As these TBU's are both in 3.5in form factor they
> are great for deploying in a 1U rackmount chassis in the FDD bay.

They sound great. Anyone want to send me one? :-)

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 592 5660 or 592 2122  Fax: +1 (613) 592 1175