On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 9:55 am, Charlie Brady wrote:
> All I ask is that you respect Mitel's right to do what it chooses to do in
> the interest of its customers and shareholders.

I think one of the things that we need to be clear about is that while SME is
an open-sourced product, it is not currently an 'openly developed' product.
This list is not where the key development decision get made.  Perhaps it was
once. (I don't know since I've only been involved with SME since it was owned
by Mitel.)  Regardless of whether I think it is a wise decision by Mitel or
not, I respect their commercial right to act as they see fit.

There is another Linux based product that I use - Astaro Security Linux.
Astaro takes a very similar approach to Mitel.  The development of the
product is 'closed', but they have a 'ASL Hackers / Beta Version' Forum,
which is for beta version feedback and for discussion of non-supported user
developed addons.  Some of these contributions may (occasionaly) make it back
into the core product.

As it currently stands, I think this list is essentially here to provide the
same functions: a place for feedback on beta versions and the discussion of
user developed addons.  In this context, the contributions made by Mitel
employees should be appreciated for what they are - a gift to the 'SME Hacker
community'.

That all being said, I think there are things that we, the 'SME Hacker
Community' (aka Devinfo) could do to make life better for ourselves.

I think we could do with a better system for managing SME contributions (both
HOWTO's and RPM's).  We could possibly even do with our own website for news
and running our own Groupware interface.  This could be hosted by someone in
the community, or we could use Sourceforge or Savanah
(http://savanah.gnu.org).

The important thing is that it has to be *our* effort.  We cannot demand that
Mitel provide anything more than they already do.  They provide a great
product, with source code.  They offer to host user developed contributions
for free.  They provide a mailing list for discussing ideas.  If we want
more, then WE need to do it.

For example, there is no reason that we (the Devinfo community) could not set
up our own bug-tracking system, which would then be available to both us and
Mitel.  In my view, a publicly accessible bug tracking system (for
non-security related bugs) would be a Good Thing(tm).  One of the key
benefits of open source is the 'many eyeball' effect, but it only works if
the bug tracking system is public, since the person who finds a bug is rarely
the person who can fix it.  The best way to demonstrate this to Mitel would
be to do it, and contribute back fixes.

Oh, and just to be clear.  I'm not in any way suggesting that we 'fork' SME in
any way.  It is mainly user developed contributions that I have in mind here,
not a new version of SME.  It is just that if we want utilities to make our
life easier, we need to provide them.

What do others think??

Rasjid.