On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Graeme Robinson wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, .:andrej fercic:. wrote:
>
> > I am not sure but i have noticed that 5.6 eats much more memory as 5.5.
> > I jave two SME server running quite equal load. 1st is SME 5.5 with
> > 128MB and memory utilization is 56% (phpsysinfo), but on 5.6 with 256MB
> > is 92%. Is this normal???
>
> Yes. Linux swallows up most available RAM to use as diskram and then hands
> it over when other processes need it.

By 'diskram' I mean 'disk caching'. The point is linux uses up most of
it's ram at any given point, for cacheing disk access and use by
processes. If new processes start that need more ram than is available
memory will by hived off out of disk cache and the buffers readjusted.

A more detailed explanation is at:
http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug/2001/09/msg00744.html

Graeme Robinson - Graenet consulting
www.graenet.com - internet solutions