On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Charlie Brady wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Peter Samuel wrote:
>
> > Rasjid has not responded to my request to see if using an IP address in
> > his /var/qmail/control/helohost file worked, so I've done the test
> > myself:
> > telnet 210.9.200.225 25
> >     Trying 210.9.200.225...
> >     Connected to 210.9.200.225.
> >     Escape character is '^]'.
> >     220 mail.oranaschool.com GroupWise Internet Agent 5.5.5 Ready (C)1993, 1998
> > Novell, Inc.
> >     helo [216.191.234.126]
> >     504 DNS verification of sending machine failed: no mail will be accepted
> >     Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> Wouldn't he want "helohost" to match the reverse lookup of his IP address?
> That would be easy to work out in a template, and could be updated during
> the "ip-change" event if required.

Certainly. My tests were also meant to show that the Novell
SMTP server was non-compliant. The coding of either[1] method is left as
an exercise to the reader.

[1] In this case, using an IP address will fail, but who knows about
other SMTP servers.

--
Regards
Peter

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"