Quoting "Craig D. Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> March 26, 2003
> Hello All,
>
>      Lasse Johansson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> has an excellent how-to
>      available to implement "PDF printing to file" on your SME 5.
>
>      I have created an rpm to implement this on SME 5.6.

Thanks for your work on this.  You have inspired me to
share another option.  I had a need to create PDF files
from software that could only create HP's PCL formatted
output and could not run a PostScript driver.  (This was
not on a Windows or Linux platform, but HP-UX).

PCL is the format used for printing to non-PostScript
LaserJet printers.  HP developed PCL to compete with
PostScript.  As such, PCL is much more common in the
Windows PC (and HP-UX) world than PostScript.

Anyway, I found pcl6, which can take PCL and convert
to various formats, such as PDF, without the need for
a PostScript itermediary.

(There are other expensive pcl-to-pdf converters out
there, but this method is much more affordable.)

You have to compile from source, but it compiles cleanly
on SME 5.5 (not 5.0, for me anyway) after installation of the RPMs
mentioned in the above howto, plus GCC, etc.  My SME 5.5
binary runs fine on SME 5.0, as far as I can tell.

If you are interested, take a look here for the pcl6 source:
http://www.artifex.com/downloads/

I have put my files here:
http://bender-high.com/sme/pcl6/

They include a binary, a shell script, and an smb.conf template.

If you want to try it, you should be able to follow the
README I put on my site without having to compile the source
yourself.

This has the potential of being a great deal easier to
install than the regular Ghostscript ps2pdf method
of generating PDFs from a network printer.

Please note, the pcl6 license is not GPL and that may
be a problem for some of you.

--Brian High