On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Darrell May wrote:

> http://www.pagefault.org/code/e-smith.shtml#securemail
>
> Reportedly works on SME5.5/5.6 however a forum post where this contrib was
> tried on SME6 reported problems:
>
> http://www.e-smith.org/bboard/read.php?v=t&f=3&i=38978&t=38835
>
> Appears it needs to be re-engineered for SME6 rpm and dovecot IMAP
> differences.

Dovecot would have nothing to do with SMTP authentication - so I take it
you are just referring to the full set of Damien's packages.

I think this might be sufficient to set up support for inbound SMTP
authentication (and authorise relaying from the public side):

echo cvm-local:/var/lib/cvm/cvm-unix-local.socket \
 > /var/service/smtpfront-qmail/env/CVM_SASL_PLAIN

Note that this adds plaintext authentication on the public interface, and
hence is strongly discouraged just as public POP, IMAP and telnet are.

It might be feasible to add STARTTLS support through use of stunnel as a
proxy, as has been done for dovecot in the imap run script.

Mitel Networks Corporation      http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 592 5660 or 592 2122  Fax: +1 (613) 592 1175

A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.