I'm trying to compile some drivers.

Is it worth it? Many such efforts have been abandoned (it's not a trivial effort to get right).

It's not my first try. I abandoned before...

And are you certain that there are not working drivers already?

VIA proposes to first use a built in module. There even seems to be a compiled module (via82cxxx_audio.o) with SME6 - which does not work. Second, VIA's own compiled module - wrong kernel version, of course. Third compile ALSA. That's where I'm stuck right now.

I therefore need kernel sources (or at
least the header files?). Is this available? If yes: where from?

One way to find it would be this search: http://www.google.ca/search?q=kernel-source-2.4.20-18.7

That's what I finally did.

But in fact you can find the source RPM to the kernel the same place that
you should be able to find all other source for sme6 - in the SRPMS
directory of whichever mirror site you used to fetch the iso image.

There's a kernel-2.4.20-18.7.src.rpm, but not a kernel-source-* on Sunsite UK.

--

Michael
http://www.jo-sac.ch/lindenberg - die JO des SAC Lindenberg